Industrial design director
PMI Worldwide is looking for an Industrial Design Director to join our team. We are passionate about consumer products and hope you are too! As an advocate for the aspects of a product’s design that not only showcase the functionality and aesthetic, but also on the consumer experience and enjoyment of the product. Also as a lead, will work closely with Product Management, Engineering, and R&D teams to bring design to life through collaborating on solutions that deliver on the expectations of the consumer, from initial opportunity to final production.
Do you thrive in an environment where ambiguity and possibility abound and it’s up to you to lead innovation? Are you passionate about bringing ground breaking edge and balanced products to life? If this sounds like you, then please join us in creating a better world through our products!
Guiding the team’s creation and execution of design work, from concept to design finalization. You will lead storytelling for the products that you and the team build, while also articulating the business reasons driving the design decisions.
- In this role you will get to lead and encourage a team of designers and together will help determine aesthetic direction, materials, construction methods, mechanisms, shape, finishes, and manufacturing processes of final products.
- ID team resource management: reviewing project status, refining project schedules, communicating with multi-functional peers and leadership, etc.
- Partner with leadership to determine product design strategy and priorities
- Drive ideation sessions with the as well as multi-functional brainstorms, research activities on users, trends, materials, and processes that may be applied towards development of future products.
Other responsibilities and nice to haves:
- Mentor and develop the ID team members, identifying educational and professional development opportunities
- Ownership of ID team processes while continuously identifying, investigating, and adapting tools and techniques for product and process improvements
- Successful track record delivering a constant flow of projects with timelines
- Excellent analytical ability with a passion for product development and problem solving
- Work with outside consultants when vital to drive design projects outside scope of internal team skill sets
- Partner with peer leadership across subject areas to drive brand growth through design and innovation, as well as cultivate multi-functional collaboration between the Industrial Design, Product Management, Engineering, and R&D teams
- Champion and contribute to PMI’s efforts toward ‘design for sustainability’
- Strong social skills, communicating effectively with individuals and large groups (internal and external) at all organizational level
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in Industrial Design
- 15 years proven experience as a practicing designer for consumer hard goods
- 5+ years leading an Industrial Design team or studio (consumer hard goods preferred)
- Experienced with SolidWorks, Keyshot (preferred) or other rendering software, Illustrator, and Photoshop
- Proven skills in sketching and conceptualization
- Ability to work accurately with close attention to detail
- Proven knowledge of ‘Design for Manufacturability’ methods
- Sophisticated knowledge of product manufacturing including plastic injection molding, metal forming, CMF (Color, Material, Finish) techniques
- Proven experience working with, and presenting to customers
- Direct experience communicating directly with engineers and factories (Asia based factories preferred)
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally up to 15% of the time
- Reports to the SVP Global Product & Creative Development
About PMI Worldwide:
Established in 1983, privately held PMI Worldwide (PMI) designs, manufactures, and markets innovative food and beverage solutions crafted for busy lifestyles. Our two most recognizable brands, Stanley® and Aladdin®, are both over 100 years old. PMI also operates a growing private- label business for globally recognized companies. PMI is headquartered in Seattle, Washington with offices in San Francisco, Shanghai, China; Manila, Philippines; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; and Amsterdam, Netherlands. More information can be found at www.pmi-worldwide.com